Monday, August 6, 2007

What would life be like without your nose?

A few weeks ago at church, while Jack and I were in Sunday School and Allie was in nursery (Sunday School for kids her age), Allie began not feeling well. She was brought to me because by this time she was consistently crying. Jen was teaching her primary class (Sunday School for toddlers to pre-teens) and couldn't accommodate one or both of our children. To be fair, Allie was not feeling well earlier in the day and had a cold the previous week.

When Allie arrived with one of her nursery leaders, she was mumbling something that I asked her to repeat. She then clearly said, in a small, whimpering voice, "I can't smell anymore." The nursery leader initially thought that Allie had said, "I can't spell anymore," which would be quite a feat for a non-spelling toddler. Allie's nose was quite stuffed up at this point from the previous cold and the crying. It was quite cute and it got me thinking about living live without the ability to smell.

I guess I shouldn't take my nose and the ability to smell for granted. I would hate to not be able to "smell anymore."
(It was later discovered that Allie had an ear infection in both ears and since that time has had a difficult time returning to nursery on her own.)

2 comments:

Auntie K said...

Yes, let's hope none of us have to find out firsthand what it's like to go through life without a nose. And I hope I don't lose my spelling ability either.

Adam said...

I once lost my splleing ability...