Friday, August 24, 2007

There's something to an early bedtime

Over the past few years, I have come to value sleep. At night or during the day; I just love the feeling of resting my head and eyes for a few minutes or hours. Actually, sleep is quite great anytime I can get it. My trouble is that I like to catch the late-night talk shows or catch-up on some TV on DVD once the kids and Jen go to bed. I guess I really have no one but myself to blame if I stay up too late.

I think the kids, too, have come to value their sleep. Just see the two of them at bedtime when naps haven't gone so well earlier in the day. It's not a pretty sight. The bedtime routine around our house used to be a bit hectic and at times still is. We have made a few changes, however, that have helped. We now put Jack down to sleep at 7:00pm and Allie stays up a little later. Both kids used to go to bed at 7:30pm, but that meant trying to get two tired kids ready for bed at the same time. Staggering the bedtimes has made the routine a little easier, especially when Jen has to get both kids ready for bed because I am not home.

One great byproduct of staggered bedtimes is that we get to spend a little one-on-one time with Allie before she goes to bed. On good days she stays up until 8:00pm or so, a full hour after her younger brother goes to bed. Allie likes to play "peek-a-boo," which is her version of hide-and-go-seek. She also like to read books. We use the time before bed to do some of those things that she really likes.

Both kids seem to be taking to the staggered bed times pretty well. Jack is usually quite tired by 7:00pm, and he was the main reason for the change in routine. Allie likes the extra attention before bed. And Allie will often sleep until 8:00am or so the next morning, which is a pleasing change from her 6:00am-6:30am awakenings she was pulling a few months ago.

So, as I mentioned, I like sleep. It is nice to get everyone on a nice sleep schedule. Now I just have to cut out watching late-night talks shows and maybe I'll get on a good schedule too.

1 comment:

Auntie K said...

I totally agree about loving sleep. Must be a genetic thing! I really pity those people who "can't take naps." And though I don't do it often enough, it is a nice feeling to have gotten a good 9 hrs the night before.