Sunday, July 29, 2007

C is for Cookie

Adam has had a hankering for his mom's ginger snaps for weeks. He kept claiming he was going to make them (I know better than that). So, Allie and I decided we would surprise him and make them ourselves. I emailed Kristen to get Cynthia's recipe. In the meantime, I looked online to find a similar recipe for moist ginger snaps. I found one that looked really good and when Kristen emailed me back, it turned out to be almost identical to Cynthia's (the only difference was it had salt added and cooked at a lower temp.) I used that recipe and they were so yummy, just like the ones Adam's mom and sister make. They were so good that we had to make a second batch before the weekend was over (sad, but true). I never ate ginger snaps growing up. It's one of the many things that Adam and his family have introduced me to. I am kind of surprised that his family likes them so much since, as Cynthia often reminds me "Adam doesn't come from a spicy food family". I'm just glad that this is one recipe full of spice that they do like. Yum-O!
Here is the recipe I used
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 t salt
Combine the shortening, egg, sugar and molasses. Add the remaining ingredients. Chill for 1 hour, then shape into balls. Roll the balls in sugar and arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for a scant 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven. They come off the cookie sheet much more easily if you let them sit for a minute after they come out of the oven.

1 comment:

Auntie K said...

I can taste them just looking at the computer! Still haven't made mine...